Wednesday 28 March 2012

Post Production Evaluation

The post production process was where I was able to be creative when producing this video. I found the editing process extremely interesting but at the same time challenging.We started off editing with offline shots so the quality wasn't as good as the online HD footage, however it allowed the editing process to load quickly and to be smooth when rendering the video. The first rough cut wasn't quite in time so I had to go back and edit the video all over again and make sure every cut was on the beat of the song.  It was also challenging because there were some new aspects of editing that was new to me. After Effects was  completely new to me and to be able to make the heads explode in the video I had to use this software in a particular way. I did this by layering and masking the images. There were three shots, one of a plain background of the cage, another of the same background but a suit was in place miming their head being exploded and finally the actual shot of the watermelon being blown up. By using After Effects this enabled me to. It was helpful that I had a few tutorials on after effects before with a media technician from my college. without this I would of been extremely stuck due to not being introduced to this software last year whilst editing last year. The editing process took around 3 weeks to complete. After after effects we then added colour and grading. This was done very subtly because not much needed to be done, it was manly relevant to match the colour of the different locations to create a sense of continuity. So there wasn't a vast difference. I also had to create a promotional poster and digipak to build on the star image of my hypothetical band SMAK. This was due to being taught about Richard Dyer's theory of Stardom, where the band sells their image through their image in their videos, posters and album covers. Therefore building this star image made a huge impact on my creativity and teaching me to explore and discover different types of image that fit appropriately to the genre of the track chosen. I looked at similar Drum and Bass artists such as 'Nero' and 'Chase & Status' to help me see a clear picture into what other successful artists have done to make their image succesful.  After completing my poster, digipak and video I can genuinely say I am very pleased with the final result and my hard work has paid off. The post production process was a very exciting time and I have learnt a lot more than I did in the post production process last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment